The One by Kiera Cass

by - Monday, July 28, 2014


The One (The Selection #3)
Published June 5th 2014
                                       

     



THE SELECTION changed the lives of thirty-five girls forever. Now, only one will claim Prince Maxon’s heart…

It’s swoon meets the Hunger Games in the final instalment of THE SELECTION trilogy!

For the four girls who remain at the palace, the friendships they’ve formed, rivalries they’ve struggled with and dangers they’ve faced have bound them to each other for the rest of their lives.

Now, the time has come for one winner to be chosen.

America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown – or to Prince Maxon’s heart. But as the competition approaches its end and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realises just how much she stands to lose – and how hard she’ll have to fight for the future she wants.

It was such a let down for me. 

So much build up from the first and second book that I thought it would make up to something unpredictable, not for such a let down. I love the writing, but the storyline (in my opinion) was flawed in many ways.

For one, the entire story felt rushed and crammed into one book. There are some points in the story where I felt, what's the point of writing this if it were to just be brief and not thorough, and because of that I was not emotionally connected and the reading was less enjoyable.          

The review below may contain spoilers, read at your own risk. 

Back to the point that the story line was being not thorough, I was especially dissatisfied with the part where America's dad died, there was so much emotions to convey but it just doesn't deliver in words. A family's death is devastating and gripping, but a letter and a few tears doesn't effectively show how much her dad meant to her. I am not making up my own alternate ending, but I just feel that it needed more development. Speaking of deaths, Celeste, who was a huge part of the story seemed to be cut off from the plot with a simple bullet in the head. Despite her amazing transition from a total b**** to someone who would root for America, I didn't expect her method of mourning will include merely a short paragraph. Quote: I'm shocked by how much I wish Celeste was here. I can imagine her rolling her eyes and then winking, or something like that. Making some wisecrack that was almost snotty but not quite. I really, really miss her. By this point, I am just irritated at America. She was so much tougher in The Selection, but all I see her as now is just another lovestruck Bella who spends her time wondering if Maxon will choose Kriss or does he really love her. And the unnecessary tantrum at the end when Maxon found out about Aspen. It was childish beyond words, and I expected more from Maxon, considering he is a prince and all. I really don't like the way it all ended. There's so much story left untold, what happened to Anne's feelings for Aspen, what happened to Kota, what becomes of the country? To be honest, I was just not emotionally connected to the story
In the end, my feeling was:

Reviewed by, 


You May Also Like

0 comments

Hi! Thank you for stopping by and commenting on my blog. Wishing you a dreamy day!