Don't Mess With Texas (Hotter in Texas #1) - Christie Craig

Sunday, February 05, 2012





Nikki Hunt thought her night couldn't get worse when her no-good, cheating ex ditched her at dinner, sticking her with the bill. Then she found his body stuffed in the trunk of her car and lost her two-hundred-dollar meal all over his three-thousand-dollar suit. Now not only is Nikki nearly broke, she's a murder suspect. 

Former cop turned PI, Dallas O'Connor knows what it's like to be unjustly accused. But one look at the sexy-though skittish-suspect tells him she couldn't hurt anyone. The lead detective, Dallas's own brother, has the wrong woman and Dallas hopes a little late-night "undercover" work will help him prove it . . 

With the exception of Cecelia Ahern and Jodi Picoult, I rarely read adult chick-lits, that is why this story plot came across as something witty, carefree and interesting. However, as much as I enjoyed the story plot, there were several things lacking.


Debatable plot:

1. The story was more focused on the budding romance between Nikki and Dallas than on the case itself. Yes I adore romance, however I do also enjoy a good thriller. In my opinion, the homicide case was not intriguing enough for me to find out who the real murderer was.

2. This was the first time I came across a book where I was more interested in the secondary love story. To me, the history between Tony, Dallas' brother and LeAnn held a much more significant meaning than Dallas and Nikki themselves. It was one of the reason that kept me going. Yet, I was slightly disappointed by how it played out, I was build with so much anticipation and I was unsatisfied by the ending. I do wish LeAnn and Tony will have their own story.

3. There were too many sub-stories that made the story seemed 'crammed'.

But I still enjoyed the book:

1. Nevertheless, I think this book deserved 4 stars because I like the characters. I like when Tony and Dallas are together, they make awesome brothers, eventhough they have diverse personalities. I also like LeAnn who buried so much hurt and Nikki who is strong and independent.

2. I give the romance an A-.

3. Dallas' history with his family was heartbreaking and that's what I value in a story.

4. I like the idea of ex-framed-convicts setting up a PI agency with such an awesome name -Don't Mess With Texas. It made me think of hunky cowboys with a bad boy image.

Despite the fact that the book could've been improved in so many ways, it was still a recommended read. Looking forward to the next one!

Reviewed by,

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I got this book for free on my nook, but haven't read it yet. This is the first review that I have read on it. Definitely moving it to the top of my list now. Thank you for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, I love reading them! :D

Blogger Commenting Back

Bloggers Commenting Back

Friendly Blogs

Tour Host