Review - Other Breakable Things by Kelley York and Rowan Altwood

by - Friday, March 31, 2017

20657470


Other Breakable Things
Author: Kelley York, Rowan Altwood 
Genres: Young Adult, Contemporary Romance
Expected Publication: April 4th 2017


According to Japanese legend, folding a thousand paper cranes will grant you healing.

Evelyn Abel will fold two thousand if it will bring Luc back to her.

Luc Argent has always been intimately acquainted with death. After a car crash got him a second chance at life—via someone else’s transplanted heart—he tried to embrace it. He truly did. But he always knew death could be right around the corner again.

And now it is.

Sick of hospitals and tired of transplants, Luc is ready to let his failing heart give out, ready to give up. A road trip to Oregon—where death with dignity is legal—is his answer. But along for the ride is his best friend, Evelyn.

And she’s not giving up so easily.

A thousand miles, a handful of roadside attractions, and one life-altering kiss later, Evelyn’s fallen, and Luc’s heart is full. But is it enough to save him? Evelyn’s betting her heart, her life, that it can be.

Right down to the thousandth paper crane.



            

I voluntarily read and reviewed an ARC of Other Breakable Things provided by Entangled Publishing and the author. Thank you so much for the reviewing opportunity!

Quoting Jennifer on her one-liner review, my first reaction when I finished the book was indeed:

Image result for fuck gif

I normally refrain from any crudeness in my review, but this a state of desperation, no other words could perfectly describe the emotions that are running rampage in my heart.

As expected from Kelley York, her books are always laced with such emotional depth and a plotline that challenges your thinking capacity. I first read Hushed back in 2011 and until this date, I still remember Archer and Evan's story as if it was just yesterday. I have a feeling that Luc and Evelyn's tale will be forever etched into my mind. Being Rowan's debut novel, she has also gained a loyal fan, I love their collaborative writing! 

Reading OBT was more of a slow burn. The story started off at a slow pace in which the authors took their time to build their characters. I fell in love with Luc who was struggling with his failing heart transplant and Evelyn who were always the second choice. I loved the fact that neither of them is perfect and their relationship is purely platonic, that is until the road trip. 

From the time Luc and Evelyn embarked on their road trip to Oregon, the story picked up its pace and I was completely absorbed into their little bubble of happiness. The writing was so vivid that I felt every emotion, from the joy of visiting the aquarium to the disappointment from the Butterfly's farm closure; from Luc and Evelyn's first kiss to the time when Evelyn discovered Luc's sickness, I was bombarded with all sorts of feelings - hopefulness, longing, desperation and an underlying sadness I can't seem to shake off. But, Luc and Evelyn's romance was beautifully written, the tenderness in Luc's actions and Evelyn's selflessness made my heart swell with happiness and for a second all sadness was forgotten. 

To be honest, I have NO idea where the story will lead me. Life or death, it was a constant mystery in the story that drove me to keep reading to discover what Luc will ultimately choose. 

BUT.

THE PLOT TWIST happened and know this, it completely destroyed my heart and soul, I'm talking about heart-wrenching-sobfest with lots of snot and crumpled tissues. It wasn't pretty. 

Image result for dramatic crying gif

WHY. OH GOD. WHY. 

Image result for dramatic why gif

Long after I finished the story and turned off my kindle, I couldn't stop the tears from flowing. Gosh, I tried so hard but I just can't seem to find the stopper. 

Heartbreaking and bittersweet, Luc and Evelyn's story is one who would capture your heart and bring you to tears. 

*This book explores darker themes including mild sexual assault, suicide, and euthanasia. 

Posted by, 
post signature

You May Also Like

0 comments

Hi! Thank you for stopping by and commenting on my blog. Wishing you a dreamy day!