Hushed - Kelley York

by - Saturday, November 05, 2011

Hushed - Kelley York
         

He’s saved her. He’s loved her. He’s killed for her. 

Eighteen-year-old Archer couldn’t protect his best friend, Vivian, from what happened when they were kids, so he’s never stopped trying to protect her from everything else. It doesn’t matter that Vivian only uses him when hopping from one toxic relationship to another—Archer is always there, waiting to be noticed. 

Then along comes Evan, the only person who’s ever cared about Archer without a single string attached. The harder he falls for Evan, the more Archer sees Vivian for the manipulative hot-mess she really is. 

But Viv has her hooks in deep, and when she finds out about the murders Archer’s committed and his relationship with Evan, she threatens to turn him in if she doesn’t get what she wants… And what she wants is Evan’s death, and for Archer to forfeit his last chance at redemption.

Playlist: The Third Temptation of Paris by Alesana

I have lost my ability to write a formal review, so I'll start by saying whatever that I am feeling now (Note: I am typing this review at 3.47am, immediately after I finished the book)

Maybe it was the song that made my reading experience intensify. To be honest, this is my very first book about unhealthy obsession, mental issues, homosexual relationships and serial killing. And how did I responded? BEST THRILLER EVER READ.

I don't read much of thriller, often I would opt for paranormal romance or chick-lits, but I will be adding thriller to my pile of TBR list because of this book. It was an intense read, although I was hooked on the story from the first page, I was a bit sceptical at first because Archer was a bit too depressing for my liking. Besides the fact that he harboured this secret 'obsession' towards Vivian, the girl he loved, he had been trying to protect her by killing her demons. Not that I have any problem with it, I just thought he should have something better to do with his life.

In the first few chapters, everything about Archer centered around Vivian, which was an unhealthy obsession, and I was rather bothered. But not until when Evan entered his life and Archer started to fall for him. Evan's presence in Archer's life was significant, Evan was the one who became the muscles to his bones, I have to say, although I don't oppose homosexuality (in fact I respect them) it was sort of weird to read about it for the first time.(just like incest, but surprisingly I find myself drawn to that as well) But as I progressed through the story, Evan and Archer's relationship surpassed any other couples I've read about. Maybe it was because it was something new, or perhaps it was simply just because there was such an understanding and love between them. Evan is the kind of guy who I could completely trust and rely, who could be the one who keep me rooted, and Evan was Archer's anchor.

I loved the way Kelley narrated the story, not only did she create characters that had affected readers big time, she managed to keep me at the edge of my seat, biting on my own fist, urging myself to read faster and figthing back tears. Yeah, I was always nervous to read about how the story unfold, who was killed, who was not, who will be next? And it always fascinated me to explore deeper into Evan and Archer's relationship, I swear I was swooning every time they got together. But one of the best parts of the book, is when I read about Archer's journey of freeing himself, by freeing Vivian. It was twisted, it was intense, Archer was constantly fighting with his inner demons, it was hard to describe but those parts were the ones that broke me down. I hated Vivian, but I couldn't bring myself to loathe her, she seemed to be really nice at first, but she was the real demon that Archer had to get rid off. I remembered thinking 'GET SOME HELP!' whenever I read about Vivian.

Family, romance, murder, it's the perfect package! I was reluctant to stop reading and begging for more. I was glad that I got an ARC.

Archer is really a good man, I felt for him for what he had been through and how shitty his life was. I cried a lot in this book. ~took another tissue~ 

After a lot of typing, all I wanted to say is

KELLEY YORK YOU ARE AMAZING! You wrote one of the most amazing coming of age story that I had ever read and introduced me to a whole new genre! Bringing issues of family and society and took it up another notch. Great Job!

I LOVE THIS BOOK AND WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT TO THRILLER SEEKING YOUNG ADULTS. 

Reviewed by,


You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. How in the world did you get a copy of this?! I've been really wanting to read it! Sounds amazing~ Thank you for your review, now I want to read it even more :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you:) Well I got it from GoodReads actually, I hope you will get to read it soon, it is really awesome:D

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for stopping by and commenting on my blog. Wishing you a dreamy day!