Masquerade (Heven and Hell #1) - Cambria Hebert

by - Thursday, November 24, 2011


Expected Publication : December 16th 2011


One of the best debut novel of the year!

Before, the prequel of Masquerade had already tied me up in knots, and Masquerade didn't disappoint! Reading Masquerade was a walk down the memory lane, it has been too long since I read a story dedicated to only werewolves and shifters, and I didn't realize how much I missed it until Masquerade. And to say, Masquerade took the term Shifters to a whole new level! I never even thought that it was possible, so I have to award a good 10 points on the creativity and originality of the story. Read Masquerade, and you will understand what I mean (I don't want to give away any spoilers because it will spoil the fun, I had quite a jaw dropping moment when I discovered what sort of 'animal' Sam was.)

The story gripped me from page one, and I do mean it literally. Don't ever forget the beautiful cover as well! It was one of the reason why I adore this book so dearly.

Synopsis:

Heven was scarred, and Sam blamed himself for being the one responsible to inflict such pain in her life. Because of that scar, Heven shunned herself thinking that she was imperfect. But when Sam entered her life, she slowly accepts the imperfections she has, and they fell in love with each other. Sam was always there, his love for her was constantly professed through words and actions, but Heven never said those words, eventhough the love she has for Sam was overwhelming. In this game of love, will their love survive the horrifying truth that Sam desperately tried to hide?  Or will a crazy mom, a dangerous stalker and a strange new world be the one that take them down?  (those were just the least of their problems.)

Having being attracted to Sam Before (and it only took me 19 pages), I was excited to read about a whole lot more of Sam in Masquerade, SAM WAS THE MAN! Sam has grown to be more than just a character in an amazing story, I was deeply compelled to reveal his secrets (like Heven) and it was a rush to do so (something I haven't felt in quite a while when reading a paranormal novel). In fact, Sam reminded me of Patch from Hush Hush, dark, mysterious, protective and capable of love. Every minute with Sam puts me on such high alert, maybe his intensity rubbed off on me too, the story was that vivid.

Another character I came to adore is Heven. Before, I never really get to know Heven besides Sam was infatuated with her, she has a vibrant, happy life and it all ended when she got the scar. But one of the best part of reading Masquerade was seeing Heven change, and what is the best way than reading it through her POV? Her character was such an interesting development I just can't bring myself to hate her. And come on, she has a devilishly sexy boyfriend, a bold best friend and an awesome Gran!

The entire story was blasts of different colours! From the subtle attraction between Sam and Heven, to them discovering their ferocious feelings, and having so many mishaps happening to them (including a party catastrophe and a nightmarish prom night), they kept me at the edge of my seat. But what awed me the most was the fighting scenes, it was so vivid it made the reading experience much more adrenaline junkie! And I was so glad that Heven was not this helpless protagonist, she actually does something to defend herself.
(Note: Read the car accident and barn part towards the end of the story)

Despite how much Heven and Sam had occupied my thoughts, the addition of other characters also made Masquerade much more 'glittery'. I am fond of Cole and Kimber, I couldn't imagine a book without them, and most of all, I am in love with the badass monsters in the book (without them there wouldn't be any climax won't it?), and she has a name, China! And the brief appearance of Logan at the end of the book was a cliffhanger to the story. I was right to expect great things from Masqeurade, now.....

I CAN'T FREAKING WAIT FOR THE SEQUEL!

Reviewed by,




You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. I just got this on my kindle and I am super excited. The cover is so neat too.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for stopping by and commenting on my blog. Wishing you a dreamy day!