Clara Claus - Alexandra Lanc

by - Sunday, December 11, 2011

Clara Claus - Alexandra Lanc 

What is the true meaning of Christmas?

"The world was given the greatest gift, and that's what started Christmas."

Jack Frost has done it again! He's tried to destroy Christmas, and now he's going to loose his job--for good. And the only thing that can save him is something he doesn't want...to fall in love with a human before sunrise on Christmas morn.

As Christmas draws nearer and Jack's time ticks by, Santa's granddaughter Clara arrives in the North Pole. Playing the role of "tour guide", Jack feels drawn to the snow obsessed girl, who sees things as no one else does.

But when faced with the chance to leave the past behind, will the prince of winter choose to look towards the future? Will Jack's new plan to destroy Christmas prove fatal for the North Pole and its holiday, or can Clara finally melt his icy heart?

In this fantastical Holiday novel, author Alexandra Lanc explores the wonder of Christmas and reveals the truth about hope.

What else could be more perfect than to spark your Christmas mood with a romantic story of actual Christmas characters?

Quote from the Author's note: Even though it’s called Clara Claus, the story is truly about Jack Frost.

Christmas has been my favourite holiday in the year, and I enjoyed everything related to Christmas. I've eaten turkey, I've opened presents, I've watched Jim Carrey as Scrooge, but Clara Claus was as good as all the other movies I've watched (perhaps better) and I was completely smittened by the story.

Though the book was titled Clara Claus, the story centered around Jack Frost (do you know the 'blue' man in Christmas shows? But Jack was not blue here though ~grins~), who was one of Santa's employee that hated Christmas and tried to destroy this festive day in numeral occasions. He was going to be banished from the North Pole if he did not find 'love' in one week. Having being bitter and cold for the past few years because of a horrific tragedy that happened because of Christmas, Jack thought the task was absurd and tried to come up yet with another plan to destroy Christmas. Until he was given an even more ridiculous task, he was appointed to be Santa's granddaughter's tour guide, in short, Clara's babysitter. The horror! But Jack had figured that he could use Clara for his own expense, he would change her mind on Christmas (and Santa) and make her carry out his masterplan. The question is, did Jack changed Clara or did Clara changed Jack....

 I just have to praise Alexandra for coming up with this brilliant story plot! I never came across a Jack Frost's story (not to mention I have not read any Christmas-related book) and was actually amazed that Alexandra decided to dedicate her first book to a not-so-recognized character in Christmas tradition. If I were to ask my friends who Jack Frost was, they would probably answer 'Isn't he the snow man?' Close, but still...Frost and snow are two completely different things aren't they?

Clara Claus was a touching, humorous and satisfying read, and often I found myself to be biting my lips and trying to quench the ache I felt when reading the bitter story that happened to both Clara and Jack. Often I was overwhelmed with the deisre to give them a huge hug!

Jack was probably my favourite character in the story (not trying to be cliche for falling in love with the main character:P). At first, he was hot tempered and full of anger and was extremely 'Frosty', but I always laughed at his overreaction and outburst, despite being such a/an (adorable) kid, I find him funny. Yet throughout the book, I had watched him mature and accept love, although love had been something he could not comprehend. I love reading abouthis journey of discovering love, and discovering the true meaning of Christmas.

I am always picky with the girl characters I read about in stories,  but there was nothing I would complain about with Clara, she might have just faced a tragedy, and was controlled by her Cinderella-stepmother, but she was strong, and she wouldn't let that define her. I respected her because she has such a good heart and she was not easiy detered from getting to know Jack.

Of course, the beautiful snowy and Christmas-ish setting also painted a graphic image in my mind (I was a click away from booking myself a ticket to North Pole) and the story would not be the same if we don't have Santa and St.Nick (TWO ENTIRELY DIFFERENT PEOPLE!) and other characters that made the story alive! Furthermore, this story was creative because (I try to give as little spoilers as possible):

1. Who would have thought of Santa's 'business' has a company-like system?

2. Santa's entourage were immortals!

3. That Santa's employees don't only make toys but actually has cool superpowers as well?
Like Jack Frost who created Frost, North who is responsible for the North Wind, and, oh you get the idea....

A Christmas story with a fairytale and romantic twist retold in a moden adaptation just for everyone! Perfect way to welcome Christmas, even if you don't celebrate it!

Reviewed by,


You May Also Like

4 comments

Hi! Thank you for stopping by and commenting on my blog. Wishing you a dreamy day!