Carrier of the Mark (Carrier Trilogy #1) by Leigh Fallon

by - Wednesday, March 28, 2012


Carrier of the Mark - Leigh Fallon
Published : October 4th 2011


Their Love was Meant to Be.


When Megan Rosenberg moves to Ireland, everything in her life seems to fall into place. After growing up in America, she's surprised to find herself feeling at home in her new school. She connects with a group of friends, and she is instantly drawn to the darkly handsome Adam DeRís. 


But Megan is about to discover that her feelings for Adam are tied to a fate that was sealed long ago - and the passion and power that brought them together could be their ultimate destruction.  

I've spent about literally half an hour pacing in front of this book debating with myself whether I should buy it or not, considering the mixed reviews that I've read about this book. But obviously, I've bought it. I thought this book deserved a chance and since I was attracted by the cover, I made the decision to buy it.

I was pleasantly surprised that I liked it, although it has it's not so impressive moments. The first few pages into the book, I began to regret my decision. It spelled Cliche in every single sense, from Megan being attracted to the mysteriously sexy Adam, to Megan trying to fit in in her new high school. Seen that! Read that! It was nothing new and constituted what I had read for the past few years, and I've long outgrown the new-girl-fall-in-love-with-school's-most-unavailable-guy mindset.

I was bummed and would've put it down if it weren't for the boredom I faced while waiting for my flight. I was snickering and making snide comments as I proceeded with the story, rolling my eyes at the ironics and shrugged at the expected, but about halfway through the book, the story really did picked up and took an unexpected twist. It piqued my interest, and well, I was always a sucker for magic powers.

Ever since I was introduced to the term "elemental powers", I have since then developed a morbid fascination towards the concept and continually search for books related to it. I have to say, I was impressed by the sudden twist in the story.

To be honest, Megan reminded me a little bit of Bella, probably because she was so attracted to Adam, as Bella did with Edward. It was unhealthy really, but I couldn't deny that her affection towards Adam softened me, and to see Adam's mutual attraction towards Megan reminded me of how innocent and powerful love could be. The book has a few tear jerking moments when Adam and Megan faced an obstacle which prevented them from being together.

 Furthermore, I adore the characters in the story, like I mentioned before, the story bears a slight resemblance to Twilight (in my opinion)and the DeRis' family was as warm as the Cullens.

One of the main thing that drew me in was the mystery behind the "Mark", it was one of the time where I was truly interested to unravel the mystery behind the Order of the things and is actually interested enough to read through the history.

Overall, it was a recommended book. I had mixed feelings for the book but it did paid off in the end. Looking forward to read the next!


Reviewed by,

You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. Sadly, I didn't finish this book. I probably read about half of it, but like you, saw waaaay too many similarities to the Twilight series. Being that most of the book has been done before, I lost interest quickly. I may revisit it at some point, especially since you've mentioned the story does pick up and has some great twists.

    Kristan @ Lost Amongst the Shelves

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by!

    Yes, it was a real battle with myself whether I should continue reading or not, but why put it to waste? It was quite enjoyable I would say, I hope you would find it equivalently enjoyable as well.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for stopping by and commenting on my blog. Wishing you a dreamy day!