Hourglass

by - Friday, August 19, 2011



             


One hour to rewrite the past . . .
 
For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn’t there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents’ death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She’s tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.


So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson’s willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he’s around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?

Full of atmosphere, mystery, and romance, Hourglass merges the very best of the paranormal and science-fiction genres in a seductive, remarkable young adult debut.


Hourglass, such a unique name for a time travelling story.

Emmerson is a time traveler, she often sees humans from the past, yet all these while she thought they were ghosts ; Michael, a time traveler who could go to the future, and Emmerson's other half. Together they travel back to the past to save Liam, the founder of Hourglass who was mysteriously burned to death.

I would say that the very idea of the story intrigues me, I never read any story regarding to time travel, only watched movies of them, so Hourglass will go down as the first time-travel book I've read in my reading history. To say I was disappointed? Of course not! Hourglass opened an entire new world of time travelers to me!

Although I would describe this book more of a warm up, yet there are several new ideas that I found quite fascinating, for one, there are time travelers who could only specifically travel to one period of the time, like Emmerson and Michael, Em could only travel to the past wherelse Michael could travel to the future, and there are the ones who could open up wormholes and portals for time travelers, without the portals, the time travelers wouldn't be able to travel at all! It's quite like the idea of time travelling gene + time travelling machine = time travel.

I love the characters, mostly because they are just easy to like! My favourite character is Michael because he could be really awkward one second and all dark and mysterious the next. His relationship with Emmerson was developed quite perfectly in this story, and that I love all the jealousy and love at first sight thing going on.

Also, I would say that Hourglass did managed to surprise me, the story was well written and it is full with adventures and mysteries. And I could really absorb the emotions that each characeter felt, I love Dru's and Thomas' relationship in particular. The climax made me jump up an yell, but it all ended nicely, if not....pitchforks and torches.

However, as much as I had fun reading, I felt unjustly for the characters that played a huge role in Emmerson's life and yet they were not given a proper elaboration. I don't really feel the friendship bond between Em and Lily, supposingly she's her best friend. I just think that certain characters deserved a background story for them too:P

Nevertheless, spend TIME reading Hourglass.


Reviewed by,

You May Also Like

0 comments

Hi! Thank you for stopping by and commenting on my blog. Wishing you a dreamy day!