Review - Shadows of Valor by Elsie Park

by - Friday, June 30, 2017



 Book Details 

Shadows of Valor 
Author: Elsie Park
Published: March 14th 2017
Publisher: Amberjack Publishing

About the Book

Something dark stirs within the peaceful walls of the prosperous town of Graywall, something only the mysterious vigilante known as The Shadow can overcome. Torn between a sense of justice and a desire for revenge, The Shadow is the nobleman Sir Calan, who must use his skills to assist the Lord of Graywall.

When Sir Calan is sent to hunt down smugglers who have run rampant after the levying of a harsh tax by King Edward, he learns of a plot against the just ruler of the town, Lord Shaufton. To thwart this plot, Calan enters a pseudo courtship with Shaufton's daughter under the guise of Sir Calan, even as he wrestles with emotions stirred by the lovely Elsbeth, Lord Shaufton's niece. Elsbeth may be the only person who can heal Calan's troubled soul, but she has secrets of her own.

Rife with deceit, greed, and betrayal, Shadow of Valor is a timeless tale of honor, love, and redemption.

My Review 

Rating: ★★★★

I voluntarily read and reviewed a free copy of this book thanks to the author and Xpresso Book Tours.

Historical fiction was never my area of expertise, aside from binge watching on movies like The Young Victoria or A Knight’s Tale, I’ve never read many books with Kings and Knights. But my recent obsession with Outlander has strongly urged me to finally dive into the genre, and so, Shadows of Valor was my first official try to tap into the world of the classic tale. 

And boy, was I incredibly blown away. 

I loved the worldbuilding and the characters. The Shadow reminded me of Robin Hood on an espionage mission and I was drawn to him and his background story. I love his sense of justice, and how he has somehow bonded with Elsbeth, an intelligent and kind young woman who does not realize her own worth because of the scars on her arms. It was action packed and full of plot twists, with sweet, intimate moments in between. 

Overall, I enjoyed the story and so glad that I stumbled across this hidden gem! I'm definitely going to branch out more in this genre thanks to this book! 


You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. Thanks for your awesome review!!! I'm just tickled you enjoyed SHADOWS OF VALOR and that it gave you a positive experience in reading historical novels. If you're still reading historicals next year, the sequel, THE PERILS OF WRATH, is slated for release May 2018. It's a tale weaved around the little red-haired orphan boy, Roland (from SHADOWS OF VALOR) when he grows up, becomes a knight, and goes in search of the truth behind his birth parents' suspicious deaths. Again, thanks for the review!!! All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome and thank you for commenting! :D It's definitely a wonderful experience and a pleasant surprise that I find myself enjoying historical fiction although having not much experience with it! I'm excited to know that there's a sequel!! I will be adding The Perils of Wrath to my TBR, and I'm so glad that Roland is getting his own story!

      Delete

Hi! Thank you for stopping by and commenting on my blog. Wishing you a dreamy day!