Playing Hooky by Rita Webb

by - Sunday, January 27, 2013





**Just something for the Valentines***



Valentine’s Day.



And my 21st birthday.



Whoop-de-doo.



Just another college day full of classes and more homework than is humanly possible.



…until Jason, my best-friend-since-kindergarten, shows up to take me out for the day. 



Like old times: the two of us on a wacky adventure, playing hooky from real life. With his lopsided grin and tickets to a circus full of misfits and monsters, he introduces me to a whole new world—one full of magic and mystery—and turns my reality upside down.



Except nothing goes as planned, and we end up running through the city to find a missing siren before someone brews a love potion with her blood.



Sirens and love potions, witches and elves, and Valentine kisses. Nothing will be the same for me again.


Instant love. 

As promised by the author, it's just a 100 page novella, but I never expected that the novella (she got me hooked just by mentioning paranormal romance) would be filled with a hilarious adventure and a witty heroine!

I remembered reading the book in a restaurant and the lady next to me gave me the *weird eye* because I was laughing by myself. It amazes me how one simple comment from Emma ( the female protagonist) can make me giggle like a three year old.

Despite the character's humor, I find the story plot to be really fast paced yet amusingly alluring. I was quickly pulled into the world of sirens and elfs and I couldn't resist Jason's charm ( Jason is the incredibly hot male protagonist).

True to its core, Playing Hooky is a great combination of paranormal and romance! I loved that the book was written from both of the main character's POV, giving me a chance to look at things in different perspectives! Sometimes these kind of writing could be rather disorientating, but it worked just perfectly for this book. I do enjoy seeing things from Emma's witty sense of humor, and I adore Jason's pining over Emma. A blooming romance I would say!

As for the paranormal aspect, from the blurb itself we can guess that the book is a mixture of all sorts of mythical creatures (like a circus) and that is what intrigued me the most. I liked that the author portrayed the siren to be a sad creature, siren has always been one of my favorite creatures in the paranormal world.

As if that is not enough! In this short novella the author even included a twist, leaving the readers wondering about the truth behind one of the main characters. Definitely have me vouching for the sequel!

A great read with a great flash fight in the end. Hoping for a sequel!

I would like to take this chance to thank the author, Rita Webb for kindly giving me a copy of her ebook, I never expected it to be this amazing for a short read! A big love and thank you!


Reviewed by,

You May Also Like

0 comments

Hi! Thank you for stopping by and commenting on my blog. Wishing you a dreamy day!