New Girl - Paige Harbison

by - Thursday, December 01, 2011

New Girl - Paige Harbison

Paperback : 304 pages
Expected Publication : January 31st 2012 
Publisher : Harlequin Teen 

Do not be deceived by the title. I was completely baffled by the thrilling story plot. As a newbie using NetGalley, I was overwhelmed by the amount of books I could review online, and of course I could've chosen books that has been piling up in my TBR list, but instead I randomly opted for a book with such a common title and was written by an author I was unfamiliar with, but look at how it turned out, it was one of the best book I've read in the year! (Gosh being random pays off)

New girl might come across as a stereotypical chick lit title, but I assure you, it was far more intense and deep to be classified under the same category.

About this book:

They call me 'New Girl'... 

Ever since I arrived at exclusive, prestigious Manderly Academy, that’s who I am. New girl. Unknown. But not unnoticed—because of her. 

Becca Normandy—that’s the name on everyone’s lips. The girl whose picture I see everywhere. The girl 
I can’t compare to. I mean, her going missing is the only reason a spot opened up for me at the academy. 
And everyone stares at me like it’s my fault. 

Except for Max Holloway—the boy whose name shouldn’t be spoken. At least, not by me. Everyone thinks of him as Becca’s boyfriend…but she’s gone, and here I am, replacing her. I wish it were that easy. Sometimes, when I think of Max, I can imagine how Becca’s life was so much better than mine could ever be. 

And maybe she’s still out there, waiting to take it back. 

New girl is a story about how a girl fights for her own identity and take a stand for herself despite living in the shadow of a missing girl, being accused of imitating her personality and falling in love with her boyfriend, talking about an awkward moment....

What I liked about this book :

1. Whenever I read a book, I always find a connection with the characters. These are my two favourite characaters:

Becca - I couldn't decide if I liked or hated her. Becca must be one of the most interesting characters in the story. At certain times I wanted to slap her across the face, but there were moments where I was also driven by such a desperate urge to give her a hug. Being inside Becca's mind was intense, not to mention, she also gave me the creeps.

The new girl - One of the strongest protagonist I have ever read. I was amazed by how well she could hold herself together despite how much glares and spat she received.

2. Soulful romance:)

3. The writing was really good! It managed to give me the creeps yet always making me wanting for more. The story centered around what happened to Becca and the impact of her disappearance on the new girl. Oddly, I was always at the edge of bursting into tears and this was quite a challenging read because I find myself questioning my own doubts.

I would conclude New girl as fast-paced, nerve wrecking, tear-jerking, sort-of-psychological thriller.

I am certainly looking forward to read more of Paige's books!

Reviewed by,


You May Also Like

3 comments

  1. This seems even better now. I have to start it soon! :) Thanks for the great review

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for liking it, I have to agree that this was quite a fun read, looking forward to what you have to say:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this to review. I am looking forward to the read. Thanks for your great review.
    -FABR Steph@FiveAlarmBookReviews

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for stopping by and commenting on my blog. Wishing you a dreamy day!